Want great hair styling techniques? You’ll find them on this page!
If you think learning to style your hair isn’t necessary, think twice.
The truth is your hairstyle is an extension of the person you are. The way you wear your hair says something about your personality and character.
Moreover, as amusing as it may sound, your hairstyle also significantly affects your first impression and the way people perceive you.
It is, thus, that people automatically feel under-confident on a bad hair day. Unfortunately, many women think of hairstyling as a hassle.
For the most part, this is because they are unaware of the simple hairstyle techniques that can make or break a look.
This article discusses simple hair styling techniques that are easy to follow and do not pose any hassles.
Simple Hair Styling Techniques for Dazzling Hair
1. Understand Your Hair Type
Knowing your hair type doesn’t just help you style it properly. You also get to know the kind of products you should buy and that will be appropriate for you.
Many people often complain of buildup and a lot of other problems with their hair. In some cases, it’s due to choosing products that don’t match their hair type.
To know your hair type, you have to first consider a few things. These things are directly going to affect any of the hair styling techniques that follow. So, you should study this section carefully.
- Hair Greasiness
- Curly Pattern
The first item on the list is the density of your hair. This is the measurement of the amount of hair on your scalp. It could be thin, medium, and thick.
- Thin hair types have lighter hair strands and low volume, making it easy to see through to your scalp.
- If you have medium density, then it’s a little thicker but you can still see your scalp but not clearly.
- With a thick density, you won’t easily see your scalp.
The diameter is the width of individual hair. If you have light hair strands and can barely feel it in your hand, then you have a thin hair. If you can feel it slightly, then that’s a medium hair. But if you have thick hair, you’ll be able to fully perceive it.
Porosity, another factor to look at, is how much moisture your hair can hold.
This is where you need to pay more attention.
Because this can affect the kind of hairstyles you do as well as the kind of product you can use. And it’s divided into high, normal, and low porosity.
- High porosity. If you have a high hair porosity, it means your hair absorbs moisture easily. The hair strands don’t stand on ends but instead, fall in a lying position. And that also means it can take in minerals from water and chemicals from hair treatment products easily. And it’s more prone to damage because of the highly permeable hair membrane. This is where frizzy, static, and other hair conditions happen mostly. If you notice your hair drying up very fast after washing, then you have high porosity.
- Normal. A normal porosity, on the other hand, is more balanced, takes in the proper amount of moisture, and is easy to maintain. If you find your strands float in between and well balanced, then you have the medium porosity.
- Low porosity. If your hair has low porosity, you’ll find it will float on the surface. Also, it takes a longer time for your hair to dry up after washing since the hair walls are thick and not permeable to moisture. If your hair takes a long time to dry after washing, even with a hairdryer, then you have low porosity.
Hair greasiness is easier to understand. You probably have suffered some oil spots in your hair in the past. To test the level of your hair greasiness, wash your hair and hair dry it before going to sleep.
In the morning, press a tissue against your hair (behind the ears or close to the forehead). The tissue should pick up oil from the scalp.
- If the oil patch picked up by the tissue is dense, then you have oily hair. You’ll need to wash your hair more often.
- If there is no deposit of oil on the tissue, then you have dry hair. A dry hair is a hair condition because your hair should have some moisture especially a few hours after washing it. You can use some products to help you add and hold moisture in your locks.
This is another very important concept to understand. And it’ll have a great influence on what type of style you can do. There are a different pattern that indicates what hair type you have.
Straight hair, if you have straight hair, your hair stands straight, no matter how much curling you do. There is a limited number of hairstyles you can do here.
If you have wavy hair, then it’s not straight nor curly but in between the two. This is good for varied hairstyles. So if you have this, you’re good to try out different styles.
A curly hair is arranged in curls or curves. A naturally curly (Type 3) hair has an “S” shape with curls all over. Most people try changing their hair to curly because it looks beautiful. Moreover, a naturally curly hair accommodates almost all hairstyles.
You can learn more about curly hair here.
2. A good haircut can make you look younger
Women around the world spend big bucks on dermatologists and miracle creams that promise to make them look younger when their hairdresser can do the job for much less.
Shoulder-length layered cuts are a universal favorite as they can quickly reduce a person’s age by at least a few years.
Bobs are currently a rage and, when done right, make women look young and confident.
A pixie isn’t for everyone, but if you can carry it well, a pixie will entirely revamp your personality.
Sometimes, staying away from chemicals, straighteners, and curlers helps too. All in all, it is imperative to choose the right hairstyle.
Sit with your stylist, explain your concerns, and work with them to find a style that suits your personality while also making you look younger.
3. More often than not, a good blow-dry is all you need
It isn’t impossible to get salon-style hair at home. More often than not, all you need is a good blow-dryer.
Most women think blow-drying is a simple task that involves blasting your hair with heat.
Contrary to this, blow-drying is a task that requires skill and technique. The absence of these can leave your hair damaged.
To start with, invest in a good blow dry. Second, always use your blow-dryer at medium heat and low speed.
Remember also always to use a heat protectant before blow-drying your hair. Coming to the technique, blow-dry your temples and crown first and then move towards the neck.
If you want volume, focus on the roots. In case you are trying to get big hair, your blow dryer will need the help of the good-old rollers.
A good brush is your first line of defense against hair damage.
4. Hair colors can give your hair new life
When it comes to hair coloring, most people pick a shade that complements their skin tone. And make sure you stick to it year after year.
There is so much more hair color can do for you. These days many hair coloring techniques are picking up that can give new life to your hair.
Balayage is one such technique most celebrities swear by. It is the simple process of adding dimension to your hair by using different shades and colors.
Balayage gives a person’s hair a natural, sun-kissed look. Ombre is another technique that has become a favorite of many.
This technique also adds multiple dimensions and depth to your hair by blending two different colors.
Under this technique, the hair towards the root is kept darker, and the hair flowing down is given a lighter shade. Highlighting is another excellent option.
However, always remember to select a tone that is only two or three shades lighter than your skin.
5. Rely on curls to give you a fresh look
Everyone loves curls. The best thing about curls is that they are quite easy to get.
All you need is a good curling iron.
We recommend putting your money in a ceramic curling iron with adjustable heat setting.
Do some research on your hair type and select the right temperature based on your results.
Here is another tip: if you are curling wet hair, always remember to use a lightweight mousse.
Everyday curly hair looks best with a few loose strands, and thus, remember not to create really tight curls.
While curls look amazing, using a curling iron every day can leave your hair damaged.
Therefore, if you use a curler regularly, we recommend applying a conditioning treatment to your hair ends at least once every week.
Styling your hair is like an art. When you learn it and you understand the intricacies, you get perfect and ideal results. But when you don’t know your way around, getting abysmal results is just close.
If you’ve been styling your hair for years, you’ll discover that you’re now privy to some specific techniques that even a professional may be unaware of.
That’s why you see some popular figures sharing advice from other people.
You should definitely take advantage of that. Get that dream hairstyle. Make it shine.
If you’re still learning and trying to get better results, the best advice is to keep trying. Make sure you’re doing more than reading.
So, after reading this, don’t jump on another voyage. Instead, take out your straighter, flat iron, curler, and get on with the styling.
You’ll soon become a pro!