- Hair Styling Equipment, Tools, and Products
- What to Consider Before Making a Decision on Styling
- Simple Hair Styling Techniques for Dazzling Hair
- 1. Understand Your Hair Type
- 2. A good haircut can make you look younger
- 3. More often than not, a good blow-dry is all you need
- 4. Hair colors can give your hair new life
- 5. Rely on curls to give you a fresh look
- Hair Styling Techniques for Women
- Hair Styling Techniques for Men
- Health Factors to Consider When Styling Hair
- Concluding Remarks
Want great hair styling techniques? You’ll find them on this page!
If you think learning to style your hair isn’t necessary, think twice.
The truth is your hairstyle is an extension of the person you are. The way you wear your hair says something about your personality and character.
Moreover, as amusing as it may sound, your hairstyle also significantly affects your first impression and the way people perceive you.
It is, thus, that people automatically feel under-confident on a bad hair day. Unfortunately, many women think of hairstyling as a hassle.
For the most part, this is because they are unaware of the simple hairstyle techniques that can make or break a look.
This article discusses simple hair styling techniques that are easy to follow and do not pose any hassles. You’ll also learn important factors to consider before styling your hair.
Similar Articles I Picked for You:
- Hair Toner: Toning Hair Tips and Techniques
- Big Hair Backcombing: 6 Great Styling Tips for More Hair Volume
- Best Curl Activator: for Straight, Relaxed, & 4c Natural Hair
Hair Styling Equipment, Tools, and Products
There are dozens of them but you don’t need to buy all unless you want to run a salon from home.
However, you’ll soon discover some of the good ones you’ll need for regular styling.
It’s also good if you know what each one does so you know which one to add to your toolset.
Let’s go over some of these things:
- Curling tongs, also known as curling irons, are used for curling the hair. Using different methods, they create waves/curls in your hair and can be used with other items for hair styling.
- Hairdryers, also known as blow dryers are used for drying the hair.
- Hair clippers are used for cutting the hair and are distinct from scissors and razors.
- Heated rollers help you create tight curls or bouncy waves. They can add volume or lift to hair too.
- Straightening irons, also known as flat irons, are used for straightening the hair.
- Cutting tools like scissors, razors, which are used for cutting the hair and keeping down the hair bulk or the length.
- Combs and brushes, which are used to untwist the hair, section it, and prepare it for final styling. They include paddle/round/vent brush and Afro/disentangling/cutting/tail comb.
- Styling tools for working on wet hair. Examples are hand bands, kirby grips, wavy clips, rollers, pin curl, and sectioning clips.
- Shampoo and conditioners are used to improve the condition and look of the hair. Conditioners increases the manageability of the hair while shampoos remove residue, environmental dirt, and sebum.
- Mousses and gels. Mousses add volume and shine to your hair while gels help to control frizz and create a flexible hold in the hair.
- Hair moisturizers hydrate the hair and help to maintain the moisture level. Useful for dry hair or hair with low moisture levels.
What to Consider Before Making a Decision on Styling
1. Your Hair Shape, density, and texture. These three terms affect how you style your hair. Ever seen a disproportioned hairstyle on someone’s head?
Or have a friend who doesn’t seem to understand the latest trends in hairstyle? Then that’s because they didn’t consider these things before choosing a style.
2. Your hair shape may be wavy, curly, or straight. If you have curly hair, you probably will be able to enjoy most hairstyles as your hair is more flexible. Straight hair is sometimes difficult to style, but there are always a way around. Wavy hair is also good for hairstyles but not as robust as curly hair.
The texture of your hair may be coarse, fine, or medium. A coarse hair is fuller and stronger while a fine hair is lighter and needs easy handling.
Your hair can be thick, medium, or sparse and that is the density of your hair.
Consider these things when making a hairdo so you can choose appropriate styles.
3. Consider your head shape, facial features, body shape, personality, age, and lifestyle. All of these are important if you want befitting hairstyle.
These are simple factors to consider so you can get a suitable style for your look. And these things truly affect how you look.
For example, younger children don’t need sophisticated hairstyles but teenagers would ask you for some trending hairstyle, even if it’s not as easy to manage.
For a mature lady, you may want something flattering, adventurous, and even outlandish. It all depends on your tastes and preferences.
If you’re tall, you can go with short hairstyles, since you don’t need to add any volume or length. A long, heavy style may be more befitting if you’re short.
Now, unto the techniques:
Simple Hair Styling Techniques for Dazzling Hair
1. Understand Your Hair Type
Knowing your hair type doesn’t just help you style it properly. You also get to know the kind of products you should buy and that will be appropriate for you.
Many people often complain of buildup and a lot of other problems with their hair. In some cases, it’s due to choosing products that don’t match their hair type.
To know your hair type, you have to first consider a few things. These things are directly going to affect any of the hair styling techniques that follow. So, you should study this section carefully.
- Hair Greasiness
- Curly Pattern
The first item on the list is the density of your hair. This is the measurement of the amount of hair on your scalp. It could be thin, medium, and thick.
- Thin hair types have lighter hair strands and low volume, making it easy to see through to your scalp.
- If you have medium density, then it’s a little thicker but you can still see your scalp but not clearly.
- With a thick density, you won’t easily see your scalp.
The diameter is the width of individual hair. If you have light hair strands and can barely feel it in your hand, then you have a thin hair. If you can feel it slightly, then that’s a medium hair. But if you have thick hair, you’ll be able to fully perceive it.
Porosity, another factor to look at, is how much moisture your hair can hold.
This is where you need to pay more attention.
Because this can affect the kind of hairstyles you do as well as the kind of product you can use. And it’s divided into high, normal, and low porosity.
- High porosity. If you have a high hair porosity, it means your hair absorbs moisture easily. The hair strands don’t stand on ends but instead, fall in a lying position. And that also means it can take in minerals from water and chemicals from hair treatment products easily. And it’s more prone to damage because of the highly permeable hair membrane. This is where frizzy, static, and other hair conditions happen mostly. If you notice your hair drying up very fast after washing, then you have high porosity.
- Normal. A normal porosity, on the other hand, is more balanced, takes in the proper amount of moisture, and is easy to maintain. If you find your strands float in between and well balanced, then you have the medium porosity.
- Low porosity. If your hair has low porosity, you’ll find it will float on the surface. Also, it takes a longer time for your hair to dry up after washing since the hair walls are thick and not permeable to moisture. If your hair takes a long time to dry after washing, even with a hairdryer, then you have low porosity.
Hair greasiness is easier to understand. You probably have suffered some oil spots in your hair in the past. To test the level of your hair greasiness, wash your hair and hair dry it before going to sleep.
In the morning, press a tissue against your hair (behind the ears or close to the forehead). The tissue should pick up oil from the scalp.
- If the oil patch picked up by the tissue is dense, then you have oily hair. You’ll need to wash your hair more often.
- If there is no deposit of oil on the tissue, then you have dry hair. A dry hair is a hair condition because your hair should have some moisture especially a few hours after washing it. You can use some products to help you add and hold moisture in your locks.
This is another very important concept to understand. And it’ll have a great influence on what type of style you can do. There are a different pattern that indicates what hair type you have.
If you have straight hair, it means your hair stands straight, no matter how much curling you do. There is a limited number of hairstyles you can do here.
If you have wavy hair, then it’s not straight nor curly but in between the two. This is good for varied hairstyles. So if you have this, you’re good to try out different styles.
Curly hair is arranged in curls or curves. A naturally curly (Type 3) hair has an “S” shape with curls all over. Most people try changing their hair to curly because it looks beautiful. Moreover, a naturally curly hair accommodates almost all hairstyles.
2. A good haircut can make you look younger
Women around the world spend big bucks on dermatologists and miracle creams that promise to make them look younger when their hairdresser can do the job for much less.
Shoulder-length layered cuts are a universal favorite as they can quickly reduce a person’s age by at least a few years.
Bobs are currently a rage and, when done right, make women look young and confident.
A pixie isn’t for everyone, but if you can carry it well, a pixie will entirely revamp your personality.
Sometimes, staying away from chemicals, straighteners, and curlers helps too. All in all, it is imperative to choose the right hairstyle.
Sit with your stylist, explain your concerns, and work with them to find a style that suits your personality while also making you look younger.
3. More often than not, a good blow-dry is all you need
It isn’t impossible to get salon-style hair at home. More often than not, all you need is a good blow-dryer.
Most women think blow-drying is a simple task that involves blasting your hair with heat.
Contrary to this, blow-drying is a task that requires skill and technique. The absence of these can leave your hair damaged.
To start with, invest in a good blow dry. Second, always use your blow-dryer at medium heat and low speed.
Remember also always to use a heat protectant before blow-drying your hair. Coming to the technique, blow-dry your temples and crown first and then move towards the neck.
If you want volume, focus on the roots. In case you are trying to get big hair, your blow dryer will need the help of the good-old rollers.
A good brush is your first line of defense against hair damage.
4. Hair colors can give your hair new life
When it comes to hair coloring, most people pick a shade that complements their skin tone. And make sure you stick to it year after year.
There is so much more hair color can do for you. These days many hair coloring techniques are picking up that can give new life to your hair.
Balayage is one such technique most celebrities swear by. It is the simple process of adding dimension to your hair by using different shades and colors.
Balayage gives a person’s hair a natural, sun-kissed look. Ombre is another technique that has become a favorite of many.
This technique also adds multiple dimensions and depth to your hair by blending two different colors.
Under this technique, the hair towards the root is kept darker, and the hair flowing down is given a lighter shade. Highlighting is another excellent option.
However, always remember to select a tone that is only two or three shades lighter than your skin.
5. Rely on curls to give you a fresh look
Everyone loves curls. The best thing about curls is that they are quite easy to get.
All you need is a good curling iron.
We recommend putting your money in a ceramic curling iron with adjustable heat setting.
Do some research on your hair type and select the right temperature based on your results.
Here is another tip: if you are curling wet hair, always remember to use a lightweight mousse.
Everyday curly hair looks best with a few loose strands, and thus, remember not to create very tight curls.
While curls look amazing, using a curling iron every day can leave your hair damaged.
Therefore, if you use a curler regularly, we recommend applying a conditioning treatment to your hair ends at least once every week.
Hair Styling Techniques for Women
- Setting with rollers
- Setting with pin curls
- Barrel curls
- Finger waves
- Blow drying
- Finger drying
- More info…
Hair Styling Techniques for Men
- Finger drying
- Mousse/gel drying
- More info…
Health Factors to Consider When Styling Hair
When styling, you work with tools, equipment, and products like hair straighteners, flat irons, curlers, hair blowers, etc.
For this reason, it’s very important to pay attention to your health and safety.
If you look around you, you may realize that most people don’t pay attention to this.
But it’s important.
Why do you think manufacturers include safety precautions in their manuals and include hand gloves in their product packages?
For the same reasons.
In this section, you’ll learn some important tips to help you stay safe when working with various styling tools.
Some Safety Tips
1. Understand how to use the products. There are a lot of hazards and dangers that come with using beauty products, such as hot tools.
You’ve probably read about the lady who burnt her hair while using a hair straightener. Or another who got their hands burnt from using a flat iron.
Fortunately, the dangers can be minimized. And that’s by understanding the products you want to use. You should not only understand how to use but also how to store, handle, and dispose of them.
2. Wear protective equipment. This is quite obvious, but you’ll be surprised by the number of people who might thing they can do with one.
Things like gloves, apron, etc., are important things when it comes to using hot tools or working with chemicals.
3. Beware of hazard-prone products. If you have to work with anything poisonous, flammable, or toxic while styling, you have to be extra cautious.
Some items like peroxide, tint, etc., are sometimes necessary. So, make sure you understand them properly before using them. And be very careful in the cause of using them.
4. Handle electrical equipment properly. This is touched on above. But it deserves its own space. Always check your tools before switching them on.
Make sure there are no split ends, broken cords, or any similar problems before using. And ALWAYS switch them off after use.
5. Dispose of wastes properly. This is especially important for sharp objects like razor blades (which might come in contact with blood and transmit diseases).
Also, other items like glass, plastic, or any blunt item should be cleared off so there isn’t any danger after using them.
6. Read the manufacturer’s instructions. Before using any product, make sure you read through the instructions on how to use it. This will ensure you’re using the product optimally and properly.
7. Keep up the hygiene. Don’t use dirty towels, gowns, gloves, or other similar clothing. Go for a clean one every time.
Styling your hair is like an art. When you learn it and you understand the intricacies, you get perfect and ideal results. But when you don’t know your way around, getting abysmal results is just close.
If you’ve been styling your hair for years, you’ll discover that you’re now privy to some specific techniques that even a professional may be unaware of.
That’s why you see some popular figures sharing advice from other people.
You should take advantage of that. Get that dream hairstyle. Make it shine.
If you’re still learning and trying to get better results, the best advice is to keep trying. Make sure you’re doing more than reading.
So, after reading this, don’t jump on another voyage. Instead, take out your straighter, flat iron, curler, and get on with the styling.
You’ll soon become a pro!